Saturday, July 6, 2019

Back in October 2019

Almost 2 years ago I had to stop Hobart Kitchen Gardens due to depression. It was a really hard decision as I enjoyed my business and obviously needed the money. 

Over the last 2 years lots of people have stopped me in the street to see how I am and if I will be selling plants again. Its been lovely to have people share the success they had with the plants we sold them. Our customers have also been really supportive, caring and understanding of my situation. During this time I have been working on my meditation,  renovating my house and working on getting better. 

Now I have recovered from my depression. I've decided to re-start Hobart Kitchen Gardens. I love providing great plants and hope to be able to continue to do it in a way that is sustainable for me and the planet. 

To be viable we need to change our business model. Without an income I had to sell my truck. This means that I can't do markets or a stall at New Town Plaza.  Nor can we have ongoing sales from home as this is not permitted under council bylaws. The best option for us is a home deliveries and pick up for orders. We will be selling plants via home delivery and pick up. You will be able to order weekly. We hope that our regular customers will find this convenient. 

We will have a couple of garage sales in this time (one around show day and a second in November) to sell our plants. 

Our season will  be short mid October (a week before Show Day) till Christmas. Tomatoes will be available from mid October to mid November. Basil, capsicums, eggplants and chilies from mid November to Christmas. The plugs will be available all season. 

In our business most of our money is made selling these plants over this time period. To make deliveries worthwhile for us we need have a certain dollar value per delivery. At other times of year the dollar amount that customers buy is too low.

I have also sold some of my infrastructure and can't produce the volume of plugs anymore. We will be will have 6 varieties of lettuce, common and garlic chives, Italian Parsley and perpetual spinach in our plug trays.

I'd really like to thank you for your support over the years. I'd also like to thank my wife and daughter for their support of Hobart Kitchen Gardens and of my recovery. 
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment